According to the article:
- The regional parks plan calls for doubling the park acreage in Boone, Campbell and Kenton counties during the next seven years. Now, there are 185 parks on 5,300 acres across the counties.
- “We don’t have a system of parks, we have a collection of parks,” said Mike Phillips, coordinator of Vision 2015’s parks initiative.
- Planners envision a regional parks system connected by trails, waterways and greenways. The plans call for more trails, cultural destinations and tournament-quality athletic facilities.
- The system would center around existing “crown jewels” like the Boone County Arboretum, Devou Park, Doe Run Lake and the Ohio and Licking rivers.
- Schaeffer said funding sources will include grants, public-private partnerships and local funding.
I would like to see Tower Park become a component of this plan as well and I have contacted Mike to discuss that possibility. I don't understand why Tower Park is not considered one of the "crown jewels" given the world-class mountain biking trails and the desire to have cultural destinations and tournament-quality athletic facilities. Upgrades to the park could really make Tower Park a world class destination and a cornerstone of the Midway redevelopment.
I would also like to hear anyone's ideas on how to connect Tower Park to the Licking River plan. Does anyone know of a watershed connection that could be used as a bike trail to connect the Licking trail and Tower Park?