At the recent SBDM Council meeting there were a couple of interesting items that were discussed. The first of which is a unique program for Fort Thomas to require a laptop for every student in all three early bird English classes for next year.
Highlights of the program include:
- Students will pay $100 for rental for the entire school year and will possess the computers the entire year.
- The fee will be partially offset by a reduction in materials that must be purchased by students.
- Students will have the option to purchase at the conclusion of the year and the $100 will apply to the remaining balance if they choose to buy.
- Both PC and MAC platforms will be studied.
- Teachers will incorporate strategies to utilize technology throughout the course.
Among the complications of such a program include how to fund the fee for Free/reduced lunch students, student use agreements, and procedures for students not willing to participate which were discussed at length. The district views this as a pilot for future expansion if the program is successful.