After a 45 to 14 drubbing of Dupont Manual tonight I thought a Highlands football post was in order. Most of the local media is focused on the Bluebirds quest for a repeat of the repeat of the repeat of the state title. Below is a run down on all the recent press from the Enquirer, Post, Recorder and other local media over the past couple weeks:
- Impressive statistics including 16 straight years at the top of the Enquirer NKY poll
- Depth is the strong suite of this team. No player on the team will have to play both sides of the ball.
- Lorenzen is the new quarterbacks coach for Highlands
- Other than an October 15th game against Cov Cath, Highlands will play the first four games at home and the rest is on the road.
- Mueller believes the pending move from 5A to 4A next season actually could allow Highlands to have tougher competition. He cited playing Holmes and Cov Cath regularly and from across the state; Lexington Catholic, Bell County, Boyle County, and Johnson Central
- Despite the strong junior and senior players, the depth of the freshman and sophomore classes has everyone excited
- Speaking about the role Fort Thomas youth football plays in the Highland tradition he says, "We have two youth camps in the summer -- one for students in the second, third and fourth grade, and another for students in fifth through eighth grade"
- Believed a pre-season USA Today ranking is possible and that the goal is to finish the year #1 nationally (Bluebirds were not ranked in pre-season poll)
- Believes Pat Towles will be recruited by Florida and Notre Dame