- The original ordinance regulating the placement of tables and chairs in the public right-of-way was adopted in February 2004 and amended in 2007. This ordinance included some of the points I found offensive in my post from yesterday.
- When Mr. Arnzen attended the council meeting last week on August 2, city council scheduled a special council meeting to move the issue forward and assist the businesses rather than wait until the next scheduled council meeting to consider the issue.
- Council should consider all sides of an issue. In this case, the well-being of the general public should at least be discussed, including pedestrians who may use the sidewalk.
- By discussing the issue council demonstrated they were considering not just the interests of the businesses, but also the well-being of the general public.
- The end result of this process is that businesses will soon be able to allow outdoor dining on the public sidewalk until 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and midnight on Friday and Saturday; and, there is no longer a requirement that food be served with alcohol purchases.
In addition I am attaching links to the orginal ordinance, the current noise ordinance, and the revised ordinance that was voted on last night.