- I am surprised by the sheer number of people coming out on this blog about the judicial candidate Gayle Hoffman. Perhaps these people are plants or just have an axe to grind but their comments sound genuine and if there is a shred of truth to anything they have said I would definitely vote for her opponent Richard Woeste. I have denied about half the comments just to avoid the appearance of piling on but there has been a consistent theme to the criticisms. This seems to be confirmed in a poll of area attorneys as written on by Amanda Van Benschoten in the Enquirer blog 'Kentucky Politics'.
- Perhaps my favorite outrageous candidate is Sparks - the jailer candidate. I was running on Saturday along US27 and saw a giant sign that said "Stop Prison Brutality". Now if that wasn't ridiculous enough I read this article in the Enquirer today. Seriously? A convict shaving 'vote sparks' in his hair? I know it surely could not have been at the request of Sparks but after reading campaign signs like those mentioned above I have to believe he is a bit off his rocker. I checked out his Facebook page and he seems nice enough - I am just not sure I can take him seriously.
- My thoughts on the whole Justice of the Peace vs Commission debate.... I know that the current commission all live in the north of end of town but two thirds of the people in Campbell County live in or near the 275 loop. If we were that unhappy with the representation we would have voted them out one by one. This is no excuse to completely change the form of government to gerrymander county government. The argument that it saves county money is a bit of a farce when it is a blatant attempt to shift the power of Campbell County government to the south end of the county.
- If I am judging by yard signs the winner of the County Attorney's race, my racquetball partner - Franzen, would surely be the winner by a landslide.
- Get ready for the onslaught of visitors this weekend as candidates use this coming weekend - the first of the final two before the election - to do some last minute politicking. This means at least three more door hangers, five more mailings, and a random encounter on the sidewalk. Enjoy the election
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Three Ring Circus of Campbell County Politics
The races around Campbell County have bee nothing if not entertaining this fall. Lets recap some of the crazy things we have seen and heard: