Highlands, a four-time defending champ in Class 5A, goes for a fifth consecutive title in this 4A finals against Franklin-Simpson.
Highlands (14-0) is led by senior QB and UK committ Patrick Towles. Franklin-Simpson (13-1) is led by cousins Darrius and Jerrell Wickware.
Highlands is already the highest scoring team in state history. They’ve scored 807 points (averaging almost 60 a game).
- HIGHLANDS 35- FS 14. 11:48 4th: Jake True scores from 7 yards.
- Editor's Note: Have to go to a wedding. Looks like the Birds will get their 5th in a row. Will update the final later.
- After the onside kick, Franklin-Simpson went for it on 4th-and-5 from the Highlands 45, but Max Bennett’s pass went incomplete so the Bluebirds take over with 3:01 left in the third.
- Darrius Wickware recoveres onside kick for Franklin-Simpson at the 50. It’s the third time Franklin-Simpson tried an onside kick.
- HIGHLANDS 28, FS 14: Franklin-Simpson goes 81 yards in eight plays – all rushes – and cuts it to 28-14 on Max Bennett’s one-yard sneak. Franklin-Simpson was helped by 15-yard personal foul on Drake Bruns. It’s Highlands still up, 28-14 with 5:05 left in the third.
- HIGHLANDS 28, FRANKLIN-SIMPSON 7: Highlands converted an interception into a score, going 38 yards in 4 plays. Zach Harris got the TD (his third of the game) on a 17-yard run with 8:30 left in third quarter.
- HALFTIME – HIGHLANDS 21, FRANKLIN-SIMPSON 7: The Bluebirds had scoring drives of 99 and 95 yards in the first half. Patrick Towles completed 10 of 15 passes for 159 yards and 1 TD, ran 9 times for 30 yards. Zach Harris has rushed for 63 yards and 2 TDs. Franklin-Simpson was led by the Wickware cousins — Darrius has run for 62 yards and 1 TD, and Jerrell has run for 51 yards.
- HIGHLANDS 21, FRANKLIN-SIMPSON 7: The Bluebirds drive 99 yards in 10 plays, capped by Patrick Towles’ 19-yard scoring strike to Donovan McCoy with 5:46 left in first quarter.
- Franklin-Simpson was in position to tie the game, but Darrius Wickware coughed up a fumble at the Highlands’ 1. The Bluebirds still ead 14-7 with 7:30 left first half.
- HIGHLANDS 14, FRANKLIN-SIMPSON 7: Highlands drove 95 yards in 9 plays to regain the lead on Zach Harris’ 3-yard TD run with 16 seconds left in first quarter. QB Patrick Towles had an 18-yard run and a 21-yard pass completion to Ian McGurn to key the drive.
- HIGHLANDS 7, FRANKLIN-SIMPSON 7: Franklin-Simpson shredded Highlands’ defense on its first possession, going 62 yards in 8 plays to score on Darrius Wickware’s 1-yard run.
- HIGHLANDS 7, FRANKLIN-SIMPSON 0: The Bluebirds needed less than 90 seconds to get on the scoreboard. Zach Harris bolted for a 26-yard TD run.