Saturday, March 31, 2012
The Fort Thomas Iconic Tournament Bracket has whittled its way down to 2. The juggernaut #1 seed, Highlands High School is taking on upstart #8 Olde Fort Pub and their loyal followers in the first ever final on Fort Thomas Matters.
Friday, March 30, 2012
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
- Well, it's Wednesday at 3:30, which means there is until the University of Kentucky plays the University of Louisville. But who's counting, right?
- Speaking of UK, HHS Senior and UK WR commit, Ozzy Sheehan posted a picture of Highlands' state championship ring. The team's fifth in a row. Baller.
- Mio's Grand Opening is today! With the full menu. Also, this Friday - which will be nice, they will have their patio open and a band playing from 6:30-10:30. See you there! Via their FB post:
We will still make mistakes as we get ramped up so be a little patient with us as we settle into our new hours. Thanks in advance for your patience and patronage!
honors women circuit court clerks
during National Women's History Month
March is National Women's History Month, an opportunity to honor and celebrate women's historic achievements. This year’s theme is Women’s Education – Women’s Empowerment.
The Kentucky Court of Justice is using this occasion to recognize our women circuit court clerks, who represent more than half of the circuit court clerks in Kentucky. Women head 79 of the state’s 120 Offices of Circuit Court Clerk, which includes friend of the blog, Campbell County Circuit Court Clerk, Taunya Nolan Jack.
- The Fort Thomas Iconic Tournament Bracket is set. Vote on over here ------------------------>
Voting ends Friday. (8) Tower Park vs. (1) Highlands High School and (7) Runners/Walkers vs. (8) Olde Fort Pub.
Sunday, March 25, 2012
1. Fort Thomas Police issued a break-in warning last week. They indicated there had been 15 break-ins (no time frame was given but I assume they were all recent) and all but one involved cars with their doors unlocked. They remind everyone to please lock their cars and report anyone suspicious walking around at night.
2. We mentioned recently about the playground equipment that re-appeared recently at Highland Park. While they are a bit misplaced across the street it is nice to have them back at the park. We also learned this week that the city is adding a nice trail to Highland Park. The trail will be over a mile long and have a section that will split off to connect with Ohio Ave.
3. Recent (not sure if currently) resident and now former Bengal, Andre Caldwell signed with the Broncos this week. Big congrats to him since he will now be a part of a receiving corp getting passes from Peyton Manning.
4. Wingstop, a chicken wing chain, is trying to expand rapidly in the Cincinnati area and they have tabbed Newport as a priority location. This makes me wonder if they are eyeing the Newport Pavilion. While I haven't seen anything updated on the site map it is a logical option - just not sure what type of retail locations this franchise likes to lease.
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
The two locations that are available for sale include 33 North Fort Thomas and 19 North Fort Thomas. They are large enough for any number of cool retail businesses and one of the properties even includes 12 off-street parking spaces.
Come on Fort Thomas - we don't need another bank, insurance agent, or dance studio. I am asking our readers to get creative and let us know in the comments section what you would like to see in these and the other store front to make the Central Business District more of a destination.
Monday, March 19, 2012
The Cake Eaters with a huge upset over the Fort Thomas Swim Club. Obviously blue slush puppies, square pizzas and Moo Malts couldn't overcome the long wait list, which was obviously a huge detriment to the number 1 seed.
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Friday, March 16, 2012
First week hours-
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
1. Cheryl McCafferty was back in the news in a big way today filing a motion for a retrial. In the motion, her attorney throws her previous legal team, the judge, and Commonwealth's Attorney under the bus. It should be interesting to see if this gets traction over the coming weeks and months.
2. Mio's opens on St Patty's Day. They ask that you be patient as they work out the bugs of a new restaurant but given the recent great weather it should be a great time to hang out on the patio or enjoy college basketball on their 73'' TV.
3. It looks like they have finally installed playground equipment at Highland Park. However, the installation is across the street from the shelters and benches where the old basketball court was. Not exactly the safest idea given children will likely be running back and forth across the street to their parents.
4. This interesting story on a state proposal to change liquor licensing for those serving by the drink has Fort Thomas roots and if passed could pave the way for a wine bar to open in the Nevada Building.
Upset Alert! The renegade deer did not care that the city council, headed by Mayor Mary Brown canceled the deer census this year. They came back with a vengeance to pull the first 16 seed over a 1 seed in tournament history.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
New bracket is up to vote. Get er' done.
Monday, March 12, 2012
Sunday, March 11, 2012
Our most local university, NKU, hasn't yet transitioned to Division I yet. This means that Fort Thomas as a community - set aside alma mater connections - have no real ties to March Madness, filling out bracket and cutting down the nets.
The signage is up at Mio's and it seems as if their opening date is right around the corner. Here's an update via their Facebook page.
Food arrives on Friday, on Saturday we gave 5 people in to get the store full menu ready which takes about 5 hours. The we start training the kitchen crew on how to make food.
Depending on how all the training goes will give us a better idea of when the opening date will be.
We go the OK from the State of Kentucky and the City of Fort Thomas on the ABC permit, but don't have it in hand. If all the stars line up just right we could possible have a St Patrick Day Party on the Patio in the form of a buffet consisting of pizza, pasta, apps, salad, and a cash bar. We do have entertainment lined up for that day as well. Carter New and company will be playing if all goes well with with the training, ABC board, final inspections.
Keep looking in on facebook for more details.