I must tell you… The best sale to hit town will happen in just four days! I stumbled across this sale several years ago and must say it is one that rocks my world. On New Year's day, all Dillard's stores offer 50% off everything that is already marked down, which is basically most things in the store. As you know, all stores discount their holiday decorations, winter clothes and boots after Christmas day. Compound these savings with an extra 50% off the clearance price and you have the jackpot! Dillard's is basically giving things away.
I choose to shop the Crestview Hills Dillard's, but you can also try Kenwood or Eastgate.
Here are my tips for acing this sale:
- Arrive early - The stores open at 9 am. Arrive by 8:30 am if you want a decent parking spot. I was surprised to see so many people there so early.
- Hit the handbag section first - Don't expect to score a large, high-end handbag (e.g., Coach, Michael Kors, Dooney & Bourke or Brahmin) unless you're willing to arrive by 8 am and stand outside the door for an hour so you can be the first one in the handbag department. I have seen these people in action and am convinced they grab five handbags each and sell them on ebay. You can expect to score smaller name brand items such as wristlets and other accessories though. Those are typically not the first things to go. They will most likely be around until 9:30 or 10 am. Fossil, Vera Bradley, Kate Landry and Vince Camuto bags will also be available a little longer. I have found that Kate Landry and Vince Camuto make gorgeous handbags, clutches and wallets.
- Hit the shoe department second - Like handbags, this department will be a zoo, but for great reason.The prices are ridiculously cheap! You can pick up high-end boots for under $50.
- Hit the seasonal section third - If you need holiday or winter decor, you can pick up items for pennies. Think ornaments, holiday plates, fur blankets and gift sets. All of these items are beyond cheap. While you're in the home store, also check out the luggage and bed and bath areas. You'll see great deals here too.
- Sneak back to your car to store your bags - I promise… your arms will get tired fast. Go put your bags in the car and head back inside the store.
- Shop the clothes and jewelry departments last - These things will be less picked over. Enjoy time browsing the racks and take it easy.
To give you an idea of the prices you can expect, here's a list of the deals I scored at the sale last year:
- Earrings - $2.50
- Vera Bradley Keychain ID Pouch - $4
- Huge Statement Necklace - $8
- Men's Nike Hoodie - $17
- Kate Landry Tote Bag - $20
- Men's Sperry Top-Sider Dress Shoes - $33
- Jessica Simpson Flat Riding Boots - $44
If you are looking for great deals, this is the sale for you! It will be crowded, but is totally worth it. Happy shopping, my friends!
UPDATE - 12.31.2013
I called Crestview Hills, Kenwood and Eastgate and have confirmed that they changed the open time to 10 am instead of 9 am. I now recommend arriving at 9:30 am instead of 8:30 am. Cheers to an extra hour of sleep in the morning!