Friday, April 18, 2014
Van Damme It's Friday Fort Thomas Rundown
Here's your rundown on things percolating through the Highlands of Fort Thomas for the week:
- The primary political season is in full swing. I will be moderating debates for the Independent Business Association of Northern Kentucky on May 1 and May 8 at Devanna's in Cold Spring. These events will feature some of the higher profile races in Campbell County and will be a great watch.
Getting the candidates in the same place at the same time facing off against one another is important to a democratic society. And the drama is unmatched. Mark your calendars.
- The water fountains at the dog park were completely destroyed last week and required full replacement.
Do better, Fort Thomas. Just do better.
- Fox 19 Anchor,Tricia Macke, tipped FTM that Meg Ryan was in Fort Thomas last week. We caught up with Director of General Services, Ron Dill, to confirm the report. "We occasionally get request for potential filming of areas within theCity and they usually request confidentiality. I can confirm that Meg Ryan was on site scouting location in the area and visited Tower Park last week for a film she is directing."
- I wrote a scathing editorial on Frankfort's inability to pass the heroin Senate Bill 5 because of politics. My blood is still hot, but here's what they did (and didn't pass) in case you missed it.
- How awesome was Stephanie's last "Street Class" on Judy "Mrs. S" Stephenson? That may have been my favorite edition of her column. My fifth grade year at Moyer was awesome because of Mrs. S. Here's the story ICYMI
- Have you been keeping up with our Q/A's with the Fort Thomas City Council candidates? Click the ELECTION 2014 tab at the top of this page to read up on who to vote for.
Thanks to Omega Processing, who is sponsoring "Fort Thomas City Council Election 2014" podcast interviews via FortThomasMatters Radio. We will be hosting these podcasts to get more in depth answers with the candidates at local businesses here in Fort Thomas. Stay tuned.
- The old Vito's Cafe location has a new tenant. The old location has been subdivided and Monera Chic Boutique will have a ribbon cutting ceremony on May 8 at 10:00 am.
This new boutique will carry jewelry, clothing, purses, scarves, ipad covers, candles, gifts and accessories.