|Contractors worked Sunday afternoon to seal and cap a test-core drill site behind Ruth Moyer. FTM file.|
Bluegrass Geothermal was preparing the site to drill for geothermal energy, which was to be part of the Ruth Moyer Elementary school renovation. Geothermal energy is thermal energy generated and stored in the Earth. Geothermal power requires no fuel, and is therefore immune to fuel cost fluctuations. However, capital costs are significant, which is why a test was being done to see if the land was suitable.
"The gas pocket has completely vented itself. We've been in contact with the Board of Education and the Swim Club to let them know that it's safe to resume the day as scheduled tomorrow," said Captain Steve Lumpp of the Fort Thomas Fire Department.
According to Lumpp, methane and small amounts of hydrogen cyanide were detected yesterday, which were monitored closely, but well under the "flammability limits." Tests show that there are zero parts per million of both gases present.
Fort Thomas Police had an officer stationed at the location throughout the night.
According to a representative of Bluegrass Geothermal who was finishing up today, hitting a natural gas pocket is not an uncommon event.
Residents in the 200-block of Highland Avenue and patrons of the Fort Thomas Swim Club reported smelling gas at around 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. The Swim Club was closed all day Sunday.