|Dave Richardson, bookseller at Blue Marble Books|
In December we told you that Dave Richardson was one of 87 independent booksellers recently awarded a holiday bonus by author James Patterson. Richardson, a longtime bookseller with Blue Marble Books, is a worthy recipient.
This week we caught up with Richardson for a quick Q&A regarding his work in the local children's literature community, a sampling of authors he's had the pleasure to work with at Blue Marble Books (Mo Willems! Stephenie Meyer! Berkeley Breathed!), and why Fort Thomas is an ideal home for an independent bookseller.
1. Years working at Blue Marble Books: 13
2. Years working with Highlights Foundation: That's on an as-needed-basis-freelance thing. I have been teaching for quite awhile—16 years as a junior high school teacher with the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. And 10 years as an adjunct at Cincinnati State, where I teach children's lit. I'm also a freelance writer.
3. Other book-related organizations you're associated with: I present at conferences locally and nationally, including the OKI Children's Literature Conference and the Catholic Library Association. I also was the book reviewer for the International Reading Association for 10 years.
4. Quick briefing of responsibilities at Blue Marble Books: I do just about everything but mostly I work with school teachers and librarians, and buy books for the store.
5. Favorite Blue Marble customer-related story: I just helped two widowers buy books for their grandchildren. It was so great to hear them talk about how special their grandkids are and wives were.
6. Favorite book: To Kill a Mockingbird and Charlotte's Web.
7. Favorite author: I read everything by Richard Peck.
8. A sampling of authors you've personally met at Blue Marble Books: Many times, being a small store, we get new authors who go on to be big names like National Book Award winner Kathryn Erskine or Newbery honor winner Kathi Appelt. We have had Stephenie Meyer, Tom Angleberger, Jeff Kinney, Marissa Meyer, Ingrid Law, Doreen Cronin, Mo Willems, Gary Schmidt, Patricia Polacco, Brian Jacques and Darren Shan to name a few. We even had cartoonist Berkeley Breathed visit.
9. One reason you enjoy working in Fort Thomas: They are very supportive of independent businesses.
10. Importance of independent bookstores: We can recommend the right book for the right person. We know the books and we are willing to take the time to find the best match.
"What I say is, a town isn't a town with a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore, it knows it's not foolin' a soul." —Neil Gaiman, American Gods