Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Three Dogs Safe After Rescue From Fort Thomas House Fire

A broken window and tarp on the roof is the only evidence of a two-alarm house fire that occurred in Fort Thomas on Saturday. FTM file.  
by Robin Gee

Fort Thomas firefighters responded to a house fire on Saturday evening, June 3, at 35 Porters Lane. The homeowners not home at the time, but firefighters rescued three dogs found in the home.

After the crew gave the dogs oxygen, they were doing well and were released to a family member who lives nearby. No special equipment is necessary for dog rescue although oxygen masks made specifically for pets are available.

This is an advertisement. 

The fire appears to have started in the kitchen but cause and damages are yet to be determined. The Southgate Fire Department also responded to the incident.

About 500,000 pets are affected by fires every year, according to the United States Fire Administration. The American Red Cross offers these tips that can help firefighters if pets are home alone when a fire breaks out:

  • Keep collars on pets and leashes at the ready in case firefighters need to rescue your pet.
  • Put pets in areas or rooms near entrances where firefighters can easily find them.
  • Affix a pet alert window cling and write down the number of pets inside your house and attach the static cling to a front window. This critical information saves rescuers time when locating your pets. Make sure to keep the number of pets listed on them updated.
Pet safety clings can be purchased online and pet supply stores. For more tips on pet fire safety, see the American Red Cross website

1 comment:

  1. The family was away, but not on vacation. The Newport, Southgate, Bellevue/Dayton fire departments assisted Ft. Thomas. If the reporter had looked at the rear of the house they would have seen extensive damage. Damage is estimated to be well over $100,000, family will be out of the home for up to six months while repairs are made.

    ReplyDelete