RELATED: Take the city survey here!
Since kicking off with a whiteboard session held in the Centennial Room that included members of council in 2015, the Fort Thomas Community Plan has broken into six working groups, each of which includes a member of city council, a community liaison, city staff and consultants who serve as technical advisers.
RELATED: Whiteboard session could lead to new city plan
Committee members of the Utilities and City-owned Facilities got a peek inside the Stables Building, to understand how that space might be utilized if the city is able to acquire the building from the U.S. Army Reserve's 478th Engineering Battalion.
For nearly five years the City of Fort Thomas has been in talks with the Army Reserve to obtain the historic building in a land swap. The city has looked at trading property in the back of Tower Park and building a new storage building.
|Roofing, siding, gutters, painting.|
Midway There, a group of Fort Thomas business and city leaders began working on plans to convert the stables building into an industrial kitchen, open air market, theater and retail space similar to Cincinnati's Findlay Market in 2014.
RELATED: Midway There Committee Still Seeks to Develop Stables Building
The city created Tower Park after acquiring much of the former fort in 1970, including the iconic water tower, Mess Hall, Armory and VA Homes, which have been pegged for redevelopment by developers.
In 1983 Fort Thomas resident, Betty Daniels of the Fort Thomas Heritage League, applied for historic designations for many of the buildings.
She described the Stables Building this way:
"At the farthest end of the district, beyond where Cochran Avenue ends at Carmel Manor Drive is the former stable complex. Aside from several modest outbuildings, one of which is of stone, of indeterminate age, and a small brick former gas and weigh station, the main structure here is the former Stables Building.
It was erected between 1889 and 1892 to house animals (mules and horses) for the infantry, as well as for the cavalry attached to the infantry. Each officer above the rank of Second Lieutenant was entitled to a horse, and many also had their own private mounts. At one time there was even a polo team at the post!
The stable, a long, narrow brick building, has fairly steep roofs above the low ground level, with a story along the ridge, creating a sloping stepped profile at the ends. The openings of the main level are segraental-arched, with wider doors in the centers of the horizontal wall-surface.
A small brick addition has been made at one end and a few openings altered or blocked up, but the stable, now used for storage, seems to maintain much of its original appearance.
Such serviceable structures are often rarer survivors than the major buildings."
|Stairs leading downs and out.|
|Caged lockers segregate open air on the first floor.|
|Orangetheory Fitness, located at Newport Pavilion.|
|The exterior is in good shape.|
|Overlooking outside Army Reserve storage and the soccer field.|
|Located at the Hiland Building, 18 N. Fort Thomas Ave.|
|Heading upstairs, a little more open.|