Jeff Ruby Culinary Entertainment

Opticare Vision/Express Mobile Transport

Monday, June 25, 2018

Laws and Rules Regarding Fireworks in Campbell County

By Steven J. Franzen, Campbell County Attorney

As we get ready to celebrate the Fourth of July, a reader suggested that information concerning fireworks may be helpful.  Prior to 2011, the law with the use and sale of fireworks was heavily regulated in Kentucky.

Since then, the Legislature has allowed the use and sale of consumer fireworks, which include several ground and aerial based fireworks such as bottle rockets and roman candles.  Even though the use of fireworks is allowed, sellers must still have permits to sell fireworks issued by the State Fire Marshal.  The penalty for not having a permit is severe and could be up to $1,000 and/or confinement in the County Jail for up to thirty days.

Barre 3 Ft. Thomas. Located in the Fort Thomas Plaza. 
As citizens, before purchasing or using fireworks, you should check with local government to ensure compliance with local laws and ordinances that may restrict the sale or use of fireworks in your city.  For example, Cold Spring has a local ordinance regulating the use and sale of fireworks.

We all enjoy using and viewing fireworks on Independence Day.  However, this use leads often leads to injury.  In particular, children are injured using fireworks every year.  The State Fire Marshal recommends the following safety tips we all should follow for fireworks:

Use fireworks outdoors only.
Obey local laws. If fireworks are not legal where you live, do not use them.
Always keep a bucket of water or a working water hose nearby.
Only use fireworks as intended. Don't try to alter them or combine them.
Never relight a "dud" firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
Use common sense. Spectators should keep a safe distance from the shooter and the shooter should wear safety glasses.
Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a "designated adult shooter."
Do not use homemade fireworks or illegal explosives -- they can kill you!
Report illegal explosives to the fire or police department in your community.
Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
Read and follow all instructions on the label.

If you have any topics you would like to have covered in this column, please contact my office by e-mail at, by phone at (859) 491-7700 or by regular mail addressed to 319 York Street, Newport, Kentucky 41071.

No comments:

Post a Comment