|Note: This photo is from previous archives.|
As of 1:00 p.m., Route 8 is closed between River Rd. and Tower Hill due to a mudslide. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is on scene but they said it will take several hours to reopen the road for traffic.
Yesterday, parts of River Road in Fort Thomas were closed due to high water.
KYTC said redesignating the stretch of road would give the option of reducing the speed limit and lowering weight load limits as conditions dictate to encourage local use only.
Over the last several years, twenty-seven different locations of Route-8 between Tower Hill and River Road have been repaired on either side of the road.
Repairs are made on an ongoing basis as water runs under the road and shifts it.
“We are making changes to encourage through traffic to seek an alternate route,” said Bob Yeager, chief district engineer for KYTC District 6. “Reducing the daily traffic on this section of Mary Ingles Highway from River Road in Fort Thomas to Dodd Drive in Dayton will provide safer passage for the local citizens who use this roadway.”
KYTC made notes that the adjusted routing of KY 8 is as follows:
New Route 8:
• Run concurrently with US 27 from 3rd Street in Newport to Industrial Road in Cold Spring.
• Former KY 1998 (Industrial Road) from US 27 to the existing KY 8/Industrial Road intersection.
Former Route 8:
• US 27 (Monmouth Street) in Newport to Dodd Drive in Dayton becomes KY 8X.
• Dodd Drive to KY 445 (River Road) in Ft. Thomas becomes the new route KY 6335, a state maintained road with local access road.
• KY 445 (River Road) to current KY 1998 (Industrial Road) will be re-designated as part of KY 445.