Today Gov. Andy Beshear gave his press conference and spent some time talking about the reopening of some aquatic centers, but didn't go as far to say that all public pools would be open.
June 1 will now include aquatic centers, which includes training, exercise and lap swimming facilities. He did specifically say that the state's stance on pools doesn't change.
|Your new home is waiting. Start your search here.|
"The virus may not spread in the water but it spreads if kids or adults are playing or congregating inside or outside of the pool," he said.
"We'd love for a public pool to open so our kids can go play with other kids, but that's the exact thing that allows this virus to spread and would make us pause Healthy at Work. This is a hard, difficult decision but it's the right decision for now because it allows more businesses and restaurants to reopen right now. I don't want to shut those down. I don't want to lose the employment that we're looking at bringing back."
FRIDAY 5/15/20 - SUMMARY UPDATE from Governor Andy Beshear:
> NEW CASES: 252, 199 yesterday; (Total number in Ky: 7,444).
A lot of cases are due more testing at Federal Prison in Lexington. Two of the four Covid-19 related deaths occurred there.
Additionally, Beshear reported that fewer children on today's new case list, but there are still some, including a four-year-old and two-year-old in Louisville.
"It's a reminder," said Gov. Beshear.
Notes of Tourism:
Lodging, cabins and golfing reopen June 1 at state parks, and camping begins June 11.Playgrounds and pools remain closed. Fishing tournaments may begin June 1 with new guidelines implemented.
Guidance now available for Massage therapy, Nail salons. Cosmetology, hair salons/barber shops, tanning salons and tattoo parlors will be posted soon.
More details http://parks.ky.gov.
- 1 in Campbell Co.
- 8 in Kenton Co.
- 9 in Boone Co.
- 1 in Grant Co.
1 NKY deaths: 74/M Campbell.
- Over 127,689 tests (6,000+ from yesterday) tests completed to date in Kentucky.
- Total patients who have been hospitalized: 1,896.
- Total Patients Currently in Hospital: 381.
- Total Patients admitted to ICU: 797.
- Still Currently in ICU: 218.
- Recovered Patients: 2,739.
Total Death Toll: 332. 193 deaths are directly related to long-term care facilities.
Notes on reopening schedule:
Guidance for businesses opening through May 20 available here:
- May 11: Manufacturing & Distribution, Construction, Vehicle or Boat Dealership, Office-based businesses (50%), Horse-racing (no fans), pet grooming/boarding, photography.
- May 20: retail, house of worship.
- May 22: restaurants (33% occupancy, outside dining), 10 person social gatherings
- May 25: barbers, salons, cosmetology businesses and similar services.
- June 1: movie theaters and fitness centers, lodging, cabins, golfing at state parks
- June 11: campgrounds, public & private
- June 15: (goal) childcare, youth sports (low contact, outside)
- July 1: (goal) bars/group gatherings of 50