Included in those reopening include restaurants (May 22, noting 33% and outdoor dining), movie theaters and fitness centers (June 1) and campgrounds, public and private (June 11).
----Do you appreciate our coverage? Would you consider a donation to help us continue this work?----
Beshear said that his talks with Ohio Governor Mike DeWine helped convince him that it was safe to move up that timeline. The Governor did note that many restaurants may not be ready to reopen on the new date of May 20.
"We had planned for later, but we believe restaurant industry wants to do it right and some eateries won't be doing it now anyway. Don't rush," he said. "If you rush to reopen and cause an outbreak of the Coronavirus, nobody will want to go back to your restaurant."
Additionally Gov. Beshear said that it's his goal to open childcare availability, (with significant reduction in capacity) and youth sports (low-touch and outdoors) on June 15. He said that it's also his goal in phase III to allow the reopening of bars and gatherings of groups of 50 as a goal in July, noting that the schedule is subject to change.
"One thing and one thing only sets the schedule, and that's the coronavirus," said Gov. Beshear. "Any peak or sign of concern will make us pause. And all of this is in our new testing/contact tracing world."
He said that additionally to reopen safely, we need testing.
"Any peak or sign of concern will make us pause," he said. "And all of this is in our new testing/contact tracing world."
He reported that we now have the capacity to do up to 30,000 tests/week. There are 72 testing locations, including 13 more with new partnership with First Care Clinics.
THURSDAY 5/7/20 - UPDATE from Governor Andy Beshear:
> NEW CASES: 208, new cases. 159 cases, yesterday. (625 new cases 5-5, 309 of those are from Green River Correctional Facility. (Total number in Ky: 6,129).
- 3 in Campbell Co.
- 9 in Kenton Co.
- 3 in Boone Co.
- Over 81,391 tests completed to date in Kentucky.
- Total patients who have been hospitalized: 1,684
- Total Patients Currently in Hospital: 356
- Total Patients admitted to ICU: 714.
- Still Currently in ICU: 199, 190 yesterday.
- Recovered Patients: 2,177
>DEATHS: 11, 8 in long-term care facilities. (Total Death Toll: 294).
- Gov. Beshear reiterates that he hopes to have guidance for re-openings of retail, state/city/local governments and houses of worship finalized by the end of this week or beginning of next week at the latest.
- Gov. Beshear speaking about June primary, which will allow anyone to vote by absentee. State online portal to request one not quite ready yet.
- Specific guidance for businesses able to safely open on Monday has been posted to http://healthyatwork.ky.gov.
May 11: Manufacturing & Distribution, Construction, Vehicle or Boat Dealership, Office-based businesses (50%), Horse-racing (no fans), pet grooming/boarding, photography.
May 20: retail, house of worship.
May 25: 10 person social gatherings, barbers, salons, cosmetology businesses and similar services.
Businesses having trouble finding the supplies they need to reopen:
To purchase masks: http://KyChamber.com/maskorderform
To purchase hand sanitizer: http://KyHandSanitizer.com