|NCC Principal Dawn has announced the cancellation of this years Fireworks Fest.|
(Img: NCC Facebook)
By Jessie Eden
Newport Central Catholic's Principal Ron Dawn announced in a Facebook post on Tuesday morning that it would not host it's annual "Fireworks Fest" watch party for the Western and Southern/WEBN Fireworks.
The event, which draws a few thousand people, has been held for the past 27 years and has raised nearly half a million dollars for the school in the past.
Last week, Mayor John Cranley cancelled the Western and Southern/WEBN Fireworks in a press conference. "I think this is fairly obvious but we want to be explicit, and it's sad, but given the history of this city with this year has been unfortunately a year to not do a lot of great traditions, that we will not be having a Riverfest this year in Cincinnati," said Mayor Cranley. "We will not be permitting any gathering activities - beer sales, fireworks, gatherings on the river.
“We will follow the current guidelines set by Governor Andy Beshear regarding the recent surge in COVID-19 cases. Hosting our event, which annually brings a few thousand people to our campus to view the Western and Southern/WEBN Fireworks, would not comply nor would it be responsible. The health and safety of all is our utmost concern,” said Principal Dawn.
Newport Central Catholic’s campus will be completely closed over Labor Day Weekend. No one will be permitted on school grounds that entire day and evening of what would have been the annual fireworks display.